Wednesday 8 June 2011

It's All in the Edit

When I worked as an actress, I once met a film editor who said rather mischievously that in the movies, all performances were made or broken in the editing suite and that he could sabotage an actor's reputation with one flick of the razor blade (this was in those long-ago misty, pre-digital days). 

Although I didn't agree with him at the time, with the wisdom of years (I wish) I can see how the same might be true in fiction writing. It's easy to think of the blank page as the writer’s challenge, but in many ways, the real test comes when you have completed your first draft.  You have gathered together all your raw material, and now you have to work out how to shape it. You may find you have to do some character work -- flesh out some details here, change the emphasis there -- and almost certainly you will have to polish the structure, perhaps deconstruct and rebuilt it entirely.  In between the first and second drafts of the novel that I am working on at the moment I added 10% to the length, expanding the back story and adding greater drama to events in the present, and it gave me a real sense of satisfaction.

Imagine my surprise on reading Stephen King's excellent book On Writing to discover that his formula for a successful novel is 2nd Draft = 1st Draft - 10%.
 
Minus 10%?? 

Is he serious? 

I’ve worried away at the idea since then, and I think he probably is.

As well as adding detail in, you do need to take a great deal of flab out.  Read with a critical eye, entire scenes, whole paragraphs and countless over-embellished phrases could be dispensed with.  So I'm going to set myself the challenge.  At the moment I'm dealing with notes from my agent that will almost certainly involve putting in additional material, but when I've done all that I'm going to go down the Stephen King route and see if I can take 10% of the total out again.

Watch this space…

No comments:

Post a Comment