Thursday 2 June 2011

Expectation is All

I'm about to start reading Freedom by Jonathan Franzen and I’m really looking forward to it. I devoured The Corrections and absolutely adored it and I can't wait to lose myself in the vast landscape of his new book. I'm filled with that prickle of excitement and if anything I'm delaying the start of the novel simply because I don't want to finish it too soon.

There's a lesson here for writing fiction. Anticipation can be one of the most pleasurable experiences known to man (and woman - see my previous post) and something that a storyteller should seek to inspire in her audience.  In theory, it should be easy to achieve.  You give your characters, and by inference your readers, a taste of something potent (it could be pain or terror as well as something more enjoyable) but then you cut away to something else.  This helps to create a sense of expectation which you then take ages to fulfil.  And ages.  And ages.  And when you do fulfil it, maybe it happens in an unexpected way.  Deferred gratification is the kind of exquisite torture which keeps people up at night, turning pages…



No comments:

Post a Comment