Thursday 29 March 2012

The Writual of the First Kiss

In a previous post I mentioned going to a talk about being a poet, given by the Royal Society of Literature. It was a fascinating evening -- I always feel breathless with excitement when I'm in the company of other writers -- perhaps it is the collective unconscious crowding in, or the glinting danger of our shared obsession -- whatever; it always leaves me feeling high.

One of the speakers quoted D. H. Lawrence: "The cost of a first kiss is more than you have to give." It's a phrase which has been resonating with me ever since.  That what am I letting myself in for? tremor turning into the quivering intoxication of what the hell, it'll be worth it.

The reason that Lawrence's remark has been quietly stewing in my head is because I think it applies to writing as well as kissing. Both of them are compulsive, addictive activities, so there's no point in telling you not to write if the spell is already cast, but perhaps it is worth pointing out that there is a cost: the satisfaction of writing itself is intense, but it requires an enormous input of time, thought and energy.  You need to have faith in yourself, because recognition from the outside world is hard to come by. And don't imagine that it will earn you much  - the finished work is often its own reward.

Don't misinterpret this for pessimism -- it's intended to give you a realistic steer.  And after all, first kisses...first kisses...whoever could resist?


No comments:

Post a Comment