Thursday 15 March 2012

Top Ten Writers (Today)

Until my lovely shed is finished I'm hot-desking with my husband -- nightmare -- I'm tidy and he's NOT! So for today's blog, rather than something profound and thought-provoking, I'm having to resort to a list.

Here are the ten writers I most admire (at the moment, because any time I read a good book the author automatically becomes my new best favourite).

  • Hilary Mantel - for her humane, tender, all encompassing characterisation.
  • Tim Winton -- for prose to plunge into; rounded, salty characters and a sprinkling of magic realism that wrong-foots and amazes me.
  • Helen Dunmore - for blurring the boundaries between poetry and fiction.
  • Geoff Dyer - for never, ever being obvious about anything; an oblique, bone dry, stylist.
  • Hugo Williams - for making the art of understatement all his own; for never succumbing to any kind of literary compromise.
  • Pat Barker - for her first world war trilogy: Regeneration, The Eye in the Door, and The Ghost Road  perfectly capture the pity of war; no one else can hold a candle to her.
  • Miriam Toews-- for being sparky, witty and original.
  • Lorrie Moore - for her unflinching, funny chronicles of the shortcomings of the human heart.
  • Sarah Waters - for being a plotting supremo, her books are masterpieces of construction: smoke and mirrors, sleight of hand, prestidigitation!
  • Georgette Heyer - because flu wouldn't be survivable without her. These Old Shades?  Bring it on...
N.B. Writing list for blog not soft option after all.  Makes you think what you value in other writers.  Makes you realise what you aspire to yourself.  Who would be in your top ten ?

2 comments:

  1. These top ten thingies can be revealing and a little embarrassing if one is scrupulously honest…. well, here goes;


    Graham Greene – for me, the Master. The best writer I’ve ever read. I love his work, every single book.

    John le Carre – who says thrillers can’t be well written and meaningful.

    Philip Hensher – I wish he’d told me to write a novel!

    Hilary Mantel – agree with you here Kate.

    Geoff Dyer – ditto.

    John Berger – if you want to learn more about the world around you, read his books.

    Simon Mawer – The Glass Room is a masterpiece, and his other works are pretty close.

    Alice Munro – the genius chronicler of ordinary lives.

    Derek Robinson –you’ll laugh, cry and be wholly entertained by the best black humourist out there. And I reckon he’s better than Barker for men at war (just).

    Martin Gayford – a new discovery, art critic and highly entertaining writer.

    …… and Tintin books when I have the flu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm Simon Mawer and Martin Gayford? Might give those a try - it's always great to have new recommendations.

    ReplyDelete