Monday 10 January 2011

Joined Up - Writing

There are some societies and associations which are only open to published writers - the inestimable Society of Authors is one, but there are others who welcome anybody with an interest in writing.  It is such a solitary occupation  that I sometimes have to restrain myself from joining any group which shares my particular, lonely passion. I have recently signed up for the Royal Society of Literature.  They have an excellent website and produce an annual journal, but most of all, every month they have literary events, usually held at their base in Somerset House in London. I'm really looking forward to hearing Colin Thubron talk about his work in March and am waiting  with bated breath to find out about the rest of this year's programme.

If you are too far from London to sample the delights of the RSL, it's worth searching out something locally.  There are bound to be creative writing courses in your area, or perhaps you could put the word out and set up a writing group yourself. There are also all the wonderful resources of the blogosphere, where you can engage with other writers and swap notes and learn about this tantalising and confounding craft.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as a writer you need to make a conscious effort to look outwards and engage, even if your comfort zone exists somewhere in the privacy of your own imagination.

And I'm a fine one to talk!

P. S. Other organisations you might want to join/support include The Poetry Society and PEN

No comments:

Post a Comment