Wednesday 28 September 2011

How Not to Insult Your Readers

I'm just reading through the latest draft of my novel, making sure that the new bits I have written fit seamlessly in place, checking for typos, cutting where I can (see previous post) and I've noticed that in one or two places I have spelt things out too much for my readers.  It is as if there is a huge signpost on the page saying this is happening, this is what you need to know and although it is important that they pick up the finer points of the plot, you will end up insulting their intelligence if you do all the work for them.

For a reader, to have something obvious handed to them on a plate is an unsatisfying experience.  You want to engage their curiosity and intelligence so that they can work things out for themselves.  Perhaps this is why crime fiction is so popular, it's an overt example of that taking place, but it doesn't have to be restricted to thrillers.  With a light touch, you can sow seeds in your readers' brain, ready for them to propagate themselves.  A brief reference to an event in someone's past, or the hint of an infidelity,  is quite enough to set things in motion.  You don't need to do it in capital letters with a bold font.  Try going for understatement - it's a way of complimenting your audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment