Wednesday 4 May 2011

I'm in Denial

I'm in denial about how quickly our moving date will be upon us.  I'm in denial about how many boxes of books I still have to pack. I'm in denial about all the complications of living out of a car with only sporadic access to the Internet.  I'm in denial about how much I'm going to miss where I'm living now.

It's a rather interesting place to be -- in denial.  It is ambiguous and ambivalent and it provokes a lot of questions which can be difficult to answer.  For all these reasons, it makes an excellent plotting device.  Having your main character in denial about something can be a useful narrative spur: why is he in denial? Is it because of wilful blindness, or lack of self-awareness, or is it through fear...? And what happens to shake him out of his sense of denial and bring him to some kind or acknowledgement and acceptance?  You see -- already the cogs of your story are turning and the wheels are in motion...

No comments:

Post a Comment