Saturday 5 March 2011

World Book Night

I'm filled to the brim with a warm glow.  I've just got back from handing out copies of The World's Wife by Carol Ann Duffy, doing my bit for World Book Night.  It was auspiciously bright and sunny in Bristol and there was a sense of spring burgeoning in a way that I hope this wonderful project will burgeon.



I left one in our local shop, three each in two cafes, pressed some on friends, ensured that some made their way to the waiting rooms, bereavement room and chapel in the local hospital.  For the rest, I flagged down unsuspecting members of the public, old and young, male and female, fit and frail. I gave one to our Big Issue seller, who looked pretty chuffed, and another to a giver who had just finished handing out copies of her Seamus Heaney book. I tried to be as inclusive as I could.  Only two people turned me down.  Half a dozen said they weren't interested in poetry themselves, but they would like to be able to give a copy to someone else.  Several people bit my hand off.  One woman seemed genuinely touched: "It's a real gift, she said, and I could tell that it meant something to her.

It certainly meant something to me.  It felt joyful to be  be part of that sense of inclusiveness and shared passion;  the act of giving really does stir the heart.  I came home feeling elated, rather sorry that it was over and that I hadn't got any more copies to hand out. I hope it will give as much pleasure to all the readers. and it's great to think of the books now beginning their journeys round the country.  A good deed in a naughty world...

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it fantastic to be able to give in this horrible climate of cuts and closing downs! And what better gift than poetry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What better gift! Virtue has its own reward as well: most of the writers who allowed their books to be given away for nothing have seen a consequent rise in sales-- it seems to be a situation where everybody gains something positive, and how often does that happen???

    ReplyDelete