Wednesday 29 December 2010

Christmas Cracker Number Eight - Spelling

How you present your work is incredibly important and spelling is a vital part of that. I know that I'm a fine one to talk - to my chagrin, I've noticed one or two typos in previous posts and I feel utterly mortified by them. In my defence (there is no defence, there is no excuse) I use voice recognition software, which means that strange things sometimes appear on the page (Korean penis instead of Coriolanus, for example), but vigilance is all.  It is easy, when you are familiar with a passage, to skim read it and miss small mistakes, but you don't get a second chance to make a first impression (see my post on cliches!)

For me, spelling is a work in progress, something I know I could do better at, but because I feel it is a weakness myself  I'm conscious of it in others. And publishers and editors really mind about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment